All about Becoming a Property and Casualty Insurance Agent

If you feel stuck in your career you may be interested in an opportunity as a Property and Casualty Agent. Even if you don’t want a new career, you may find that getting your P&C license can help advance you toward your future.

Why Choose Property and Casualty?

Those that have their P&C license are insurance agents that are responsible for selling insurance policies for families, businesses and individuals. These agents help manage risk and help provide safeguards for property, such as a car or jewelry, and casualty, the legal liability against damage in the future. Since insurance can be so overwhelming for most people, it’s up to the agent to give the consumer the best ways to protect assets so they have peace of mind and thus provide a very valuable service. With this type of license an agent can sell all different types of insurance, include homeowners, liability, auto and commercial policies.

What a Property and Casualty Agent Does

A licensed property and casualty agent will review a current insurance policy with the consumer and help them with any changes, updates or additions that they recommend. They also help customize an insurance policy that will best suit a person’s needs and helps covers a variety of risks. They should also educate the consumer so they are aware of the different options and benefits of different plans. They should have up to date records for each of their clients.  If a customer should ever need to file a claim then the agent will also help them with that.

How to Become a Property and Casualty Agent

An agent needs to be licensed in the state they are practicing in.  In order to get your license you will need to have at least a high school diploma. However, sometimes those with college degrees with a sales mentality, customer service skills and good written communication do better in this position, even though it’s not a requirement. Getting your P&C license depends on the rules of the state but there is usually a background check and a minimum number of classroom hours that need to be fulfilled and an exam to pass. You may want to take a course in order to get everything in line so you can begin or enhance your new career today.

Depending on the state requirements for keeping your license up to date, you may be required to take continuing education courses, which can focus on technical aspects of insurance policies, different insurance laws and protection for the customer. Licensed agents should know the requirements and make sure they are completed in time to keep their license up to date.